Thursday, July 24, 2008

Modern Communications


Racing out of the city on a Friday morning to attend my cousins wedding, I got this assignment to shoot on the set of the Today show early Monday morning. The wedding was being held in a part of northwestern Connecticut, which may be the last place on the east coast with out cell phone service. Before I got the job, I was looking forward to being off the information grid, but now I found myself in a 21st century anxiety attack. Is it impossible to plan a last minute shoot from the road with out a cell phone, email or text messages? No! The only option was to frantically run around making arrangements before leaving, then hope for the best and drive a little faster than normal. Unfortunately, just as I was on my way, I received the news that Tim Russert had passed away. The whole shoot was potentially going to be cancelled, but just in case I was asked, “would it be possible to get a few props for the job?” Rapidly approaching the no call zone, I mustered a burst of precision dialing and was able to get a hold of my assistant and had him acquire the newly needed props. Convinced that the shoot would be cancelled, I had a great technology free weekend. Upon entering the modern world late Sunday, my phone was awakened with a soundtrack of ring tones signaling that the shoot was on. At first it was worrisome to have a shoot pending and be cut off from the modern world, but it turned out to be a blessing. All of the arrangements were made and all I could do was just relax; Ignorance is bliss.

No comments:

Blog Archive