Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Vietnam


I apologize for the gap in posting, but my wife Beth got access to my frequent flier miles, abducted me and took me wandering Vietnam from north to south. Referring to Vietnam in terms of north and south is not a current way to look at it. The main thing I took away from my visit, was that it is now a country divided between new and old. Even if I return I am not sure it will be possible to see the same country again. Vietnam appears to change on a daily basis, more scooters, more cell phones, more factories, more homes and the W.T.O. From speaking to expats that have been living there, Vietnam is a completely different place than it was even five years ago. Seeing all of the construction, wedding stores and hipsters, I can only imagine what it will be like in even five weeks.

Just saying Vietnam conjures up all sorts of things in all sorts of people. I am not sure what I think, on the tale end of major jet lag, but I know that the country I visited will be with me for some time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a life you and your wife must live.

By the way, I think you meant "conjure" not "conger." A conger is an eel.

Blog Archive